Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Pictures added to previous post!

And perhaps more pictures still to come. We'll see.

Currently I am sitting in the lawn, another beautiful evening with the chickens and Tilly. I've been continuing to labor away on my barn projet: yesterday it was cleaning out all the garbage from the barn, including tearing the insulation (aka rat nesting material - heavily used) out of the walls and sweeping cobwebs from the ceiling. I filled the truck entirely with the large chunks of stuff from this barn cleaning project, plus filled a garbage can with the small stuff. This morning I took it easy, focusing on digging the doorway level - instead of indulging in the slope of the hill like it has been. I also got the "barn broom" out and started going after some of those cobwebs on the walls and ceiling. While cleaning out the loft of the barn, I finally figured out why there is a strange little window cut between the chicken barn and main barn! There were two windsurfing sails in the loft there which are nearly as long as the barn, and the only way to get them down was to carefully thread them through the opening into the chicken house and over the heads of all the confused hens, then feed in back out into the main barn section and out the door! With that, the last odds and ends should be out of the barn, though I'm thinking that whole loft either has to go, or has to be relocated about 6 feet. Where it is now makes no sense and blocks light and is inaccessible. Unfortunately, everything on this property was built with nails, so disassembly is a bit of a pain. After staring at the loft and disassembling with my mind for a good long while, I gave up and headed to Oak Harbor to dump the dump load at the dump and pick up five large bags of mixed alpaca fleece from the woman I helped with her loom this winter. I am thinking there will be a very long alpaca rug running down our hallway when Tim comes home and helps me set up my loom, after the goats are (hopefully) settled in the barn.

No comments:

Post a Comment