Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Changes

Thursday, I spent my first day with The Kids, who are great, and saw 9 deer in one spot by their house!

Friday, I had my last day with Island Home Nursing and Tim called in to the kennel cleaning job to let them know I was feeling ill and he thought I should get some sleep, only to find out I wasn't scheduled anyways!

Saturday (after sleeping in) I headed over for a late night with The Kids so The Parents could go out on a date before The Mom leaves for two months. Let this be a PSA that the best thing you can do for your kids when they are very small is continue to date your co-parent so your mental health and your relationship is strong for your family. Set a weekly date and have a regular sitter and two backups!

Tilly really likes the snow. It's fun to eat and chase and everything else.

Sunday there was snow! We woke up to over an inch and I was reminded what a gift snow is, reimbursing the light that is missing by reflecting what there is double and brightening up the world. Due to the weather, our friends stayed home from Congregation and Tim and I made a quick departure afterwards to head for Oak Harbor and the Kachink Kachink for some long and tedious work. I left Tim to do his thing and took Tilly on an exploration of Oak Harbor (fairly disappointing dog park), then I spent some time at an aspiring weaver and alpaca farmer's house helping her dress her loom. She's in the business of bartering with acupuncture and I'm in the business of making friends on the island.

Raccoon?

We've also been watching the Olympics which have been great and a lot of fun. With Joe visiting, we've been having a lot of great dinners together upstairs. Oh, and this morning I made us a giant flower pot, or goat climbing structure, or perhaps auxiliary chicken house. As I started towards town for some errands, the car made a little noise and either turned off or I immediately turned it off. Either way, I coasted to the side of the road and was barely in cell service to call Tim who had just started towards Oak Harbor to work. In a minute, he was back to the car and pulling a long piece of rubber that used to be the timing belt out of our engine. A minute after that, Tim was watching for traffic as I coasted the car back down the street and down our driveway. What perfect timing and location for the car to quit! So glad I didn't have two car seats and a dead phone, miles from home when the car quit. It is now really time to pull the engine on the OMC and see if theirs any hope of changing the belt and bringing her back to life, or if we should start looking for cheap parts to convert her to electric. Tim's a little heartbroken at the loss we were hoping to put off or avoid.

No comments:

Post a Comment