Sunday, December 1, 2013

In the dark

Well, the power just came back on after an hour and a half of darkness (remember, even though laptops, tablets, and phones run off batteries, the internet still needs power). Right before bed is pretty good timing for a power outage at least! Everything flickered and went out around 9:30. Tim was in the other room, but I was sitting in bed with our most powerful flashlight by my side so I could light up the whole house instantly. I headed upstairs to check on Grandpa and ended up telling stories by flashlight of teaching and hospitals for over an hour. I always loved power outs as a kid and I guess they still hold a certain magic. When I came downstairs, Tim had lit our room with the bag of tea candles we bought a couple weeks ago just in case. Also, coming down the stairs in the dark and watching my step a little closer than before, I found out the balloons in front of my door are actually Tilly's fan mail with little love notes from my youngest cousin.


Before the power went out, I worked on my homework and Tim managed to repair our dishwasher, clean the house, and fitted the new switch panel into the truck after all his hard, one-handed work making it yesterday. I think this is pretty mad impressive regardless, but seeing him find creative ways to make this whole thing with one hand was particularly inspiring. That is a custom cut and painted metal plate which he measured, cut, drilled, and panted by using some vice grips in lieu of a second hand. We stopped by the hardware store today for parts and picked up a couple new outlets and light switches, as well as a bag of wire nuts in hopes of getting the wiring in this house finished up soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment