Saturday, April 19, 2014

Chicks and Searches

Oh last night! I think I'm still a little out of breath! Evidently the first day of Search and Rescue training, where I was the one to run and hide, was the easy part. Today we switched the game so I hold Tilly while Don, the leader of our group, wanders off with her sticks, cackling, and hides some place about a two-minute walk away. Then, I release Tilly and she takes off like a mad bullet, and I am supposed to keep up and arrive at Don at the same time as her?! Running flat out as fast as I could, she got out of sight of me and had to stop and look back. But, hopefully there won't be too much more of that before I get to walk through the woods and she gets to run back and forth between me and the "victim". This game not only completely wears me out, but also Tilly! Thank goodness! She was too tired when we got home to bother eating Tim's potato pieces and when I woke up this morning, she was laying between our feet on the bed - for the first time she's stopped insisting on personal space in the night.

After the pleasant surprise of waking up to a cuddly puppy, I checked on the chicks and had the unpleasant surprise of finding one chick who wasn't ready to wake up. I separated her from her brothers and sisters, carefully helped her out with some sugar water. My book suggests it could be an impacted crop from eating paper towel or whatever else, so I gave her a bit of olive oil to see if we could get things moving. Not a lot of luck. She's given us a start to our new pet cemetery.


Busy babes 

Little ones falling asleep at the bar. 

Big Chicken, Tim's little buddy, hunting and pecking on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment