Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Divided we conquer; together we conquer.

Oy! What a big day! and some how, today was also the most down-time I've taken all week. Tim and I didn't leave the property until after 4pm, though we also didn't get home until 10:30. Bed very soon. This morning I had early company as Joe wakes up almost as early as I do, though he didn't come out to help scrape cob webs out of the hen house with me. I think the spiders were much less appreciative of my work today, though leaving the door open and a light on did lure in quite a few moths. I am quite proud of myself for concurring my arachnophobia in the name of farming and perfecting my broom-cleaning method as the spider webs would become too thick for the broom to work after a few feet of walls.


At 7:30 the parents woke up and started getting ready for a long drive to retrieve more beds and such, and the roofers appeared soon after, scrambling straight up to the roof and instantly becoming very busy thumping around like Santa's elves on a ride-along.


Tim came out to the yard and interrupted my never-ending grass raking project to utilize the roto-tiller in the chicken coop to eliminate any remaining thistles and nettles.


Then he broke out the garden tines and started sifting through the dirt to sift out the remaining nettle roots which filled the entire wheelbarrow! Did I mention my husband is amazing? As a final nettle-suppression system, we seeded the yard with a mix of ground cover for the chickens to eat in a few months.


After a visit from our Juneau friend and Tim's boat-building mentor, Fritz, Mom and Dad came back with their bounty of white bedroom furniture and picked Tim and I up to set off again to the mainland for a second load in one day. For some reason, Tim and I were lulled into thinking we were just running over to Costco, a few streets away from the ferry terminal on the other side. Eventually we got to Costco, which was out of comfortable female bikes and the HDMI cord Tim was looking for, so after a mad shopping frenzy including a 17ft ladder, we headed south to pick up even more furniture. Our first stop was a beautiful secluded country mansion to pick up a second twin bed frame and night stand. The lovely gentleman who answered the door was so impressed by our speed and efficiency, he thought we must be a team of professional garage salers. We assured him we were only newlyweds and new home owners and asked if he had any plans for that large area rug rolled up by the door, so he let us throw that in the back of the truck as well. I think the fast size of this place throws off the perspective for the picture, but know that truck is tall enough I can barely see over the walls into the bed. Know the door is twice as tall as a normal front door. Crazy huge mansion, beautiful inside with double stairs and carefully trimmed hedges outside.


But after loading only a twin bedroom set and Costco run into the truck, there was hardly enough to hold the load together, and surely not enough to put us in the over-sized line for the ferry, so we headed on to another stop - "just to look". Somehow we managed to throw a 5ft round table and 6 arm chairs into the back of the truck as well in a matter of minutes. Fortunately, when we got home at nearly 11pm, Joe had two hot pizzas waiting for us.


No comments:

Post a Comment