Thursday, September 12, 2013

Transformation

Tim says bikes are the most efficient man-made method of transportation. I meant to look into this, and methods of stabilizing erosion on hill-sides and bee/wasp removal... but then the day got eaten up with all the other work to do! Last night, Tim and Dad slipped out after dark to strike the bees and wasps while they were sleeping in their nests. Evidently the spray they used is very safe for people, dogs, birds, but not cats or bees.

This morning, aside from my regular crass raking project, I legally changed my name at the DMV and bank! I now have a paper version of my Washington drivers licence while they mail me the permanent one. Strange how Alaska gives out the official versions of drivers licences and vehicle titles immediately and they are very beautiful, where as Washington has rather plain versions that have to come in the mail weeks later. I would expect the opposite.


Our afternoon was spent reuniting with the parents, back from the mainland with (hopefully) the last overflowing truck load. We have been organizing and cleaning all evening getting ready for our first open-house guests, arriving any minute now; Uncle Dan, Uncle Joel, and Grandpa Ed.

 The front porch complete with Chicken glider bench and mum flowers

 The kitchen and dining room all ready for visitors, coasters in place

 Giant rugs everywhere are the best

Some flowers hiding in the corner, past the rug we rescued from that mansion 

Warm, cozy, enormous living room slowly looking full and inhabited 
--not that we've had a chance to sit all week

The master bedroom ready for Grandpa with a giant TV in the corner 

Mom and Dad finally have a bed 

The "twin room" set up for my uncles

Eventually I plan to blog about things other than a list of everything we've done. Eventually we will be drying and canning food, planting and harvesting, caring for animals, and all the rest, but for now our days are full setting up the house. Our box of seeds from the Seed Savers Exchange came today and I walked them down to the greenhouse before the truck of food arrived and drew my attention other places. 

No comments:

Post a Comment