Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Filling days with Roxaboxen

Days fill up so fast; with six of us (mostly a certain 4) each making plans that require cooperation and collaboration. With each of us starting on a different project every day and also needing to finish yesterdays. So much excitement. So much hard work, together as a family. I feel a bit like I am making my own Roxaboxen - dragging logs to make paths on the beach, arranging rocks to outline and protect my first garden, stomping paths in patterns around that first small patch of dirt, fixing up and cleaning my barn, staking out where the compost will be, and piling branches and wood up high enough to be a house. Instead of building an imaginary home, I am building the home I've been imagining all my life. Instead of doing it with the bossy girl from across the street and the shy one from next door, I am working along side my family; my husband, parents, uncles, and grandpa as we all tackle what we can.

Today' projects:
We finally utilized Drewslist and found the perfect kennel for little miss Tilly puppy who's arriving in just a few days. Stalking up on supplies: the food and water dishes, a giant bag of puppy kibble, and setting out the supplies I already have collected: leashes, collar, poop bags, is marking the reality of her imminent arrival. One more dream coming true.

When we came home from our puppy supply mission, Dad was up a tree. Tim sat down of the couch to write thank you letters and said, "Ariel, Ariel, come here! Your dad is up a tree. He's really far up that tree! Does he even have a harness on?? Joy wouldn't like this. Is he going to cut all those branches off? I hope he leaves enough to get down. Look how high up he is! Ariel, he's in the tree." I got the impression he was concerned. I took pictures and watched as the view and light opened up and the tree lost some serious weight.



Then of course it was our job to jump in and start hauling away the pile of cut limps. Dad chainsawed the big pieces up into firewood sized pieces, and the rest we started hauling into the chipper pile to turn into ground cover eventually. We worked until Tim, Dad, and I were all ready to collapse, then Tim and I volunteered to return the rented tools to have some sitting time and ice cream (all the hardware stores sell local ice cream bars in dozens of delicious flavors).



Other events of the day:
- Uncle Dan experimented with the bus system and bought Tim a bright orange bike.
- The seeds we planted in the chicken run are alive and doing fine.
- Our room went from a disaster zone to so clean I vacuumed.
- Almost all our thank you cards are assembled and addressed, but not quite.
- The enormous pile of leftovers from our open house are slowly diminishing.
- Yesterday, I think, Tim and Krista dropped off a trailer and motor scooter.
Who knows what else. Too busy to keep track of everything at once!


1 comment:

  1. Wow, I got out of there just in time before all the work started! Great blog.

    ReplyDelete