Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Exploring Whidbey while paint dries.

While the crew was busy texturing our walls and Tim was up in Oak Harbor working on Joe's boat, I decided it was time to take my healthy, happy, energetic puppy out of the house.


Our first stop was the Earth Sanctuary; a 72-acre sanctuary for wildlife and for the spirit. The property has a labyrinth of trails, as well as a traditional labyrinth, medicine stones, prayer wheels, and other Tibetan and Buddhist spiritual symbols. I will definitely be taking future visitors here as a great spot in South Whidbey.




 We tried to find the Useless Bay public beach access with no luck, but did come across the public school's Outdoor Classroom! Unfortunately, like the Earth Sanctuary, the Outdoor Classroom also was a no dog zone. Eventually we will be tearing up the dog parks, but until then it is a challenge to find places without dogs where dogs are aloud. A bit of a paradox, but makes me appreciate our private beach at low tide.



Back at the house, the sprayers had done their work. They said tomorrow should be time to prime, then the next day they will be painting and we will be good to go, ready for the next step.





The downstairs is looking pretty good, covered in globs of something similar to that jet-puff marshmallow goo. If Tim and I can scrape up the last little patch of laminate flooring over the weekend, the flooring guys will be ready to get in here on Monday. Who knows, maybe we really will have a house by Tim's birthday! Otherwise it will be yogurt and cereal for his special dinner.





Upstairs is also sprayed, including the back bedrooms though I stopped taking pictures before I got that far. Our living space seems to get more and more packed in. The floor is sticky, so walking around outside our room isn't such an option and the goo makes it less appealing to sneak anything out from under the plastic in the kitchen. It looks like there are only three places on the island that deliver and they're all in Oak Harbor. Maybe we should start the magic school bus of evening meals; "We'll come to you!" We could cook and drive all at once to keep food hot and fresh all over South Whidbey. 


I don't know if I ever put finished pictures of my beautifully whitewashed barn, but here it is! The whitewash needs time to turn really white, so there wasn't much use in taking pictures right after anyways. I am looking forward to those baby chicks coming so I can whip up some nest boxes and roosts, pile shavings on the floor, and let my chickens settle in.


The yard is also lookin' good with greens growing up all over. By the time the chickens come, the yard should be pretty well established and hold up to scratching and pecking for a while.


The front gardens are also doing all right! My greenhouse has not been such a success. Watering the little plants in the greenhouse has turned out to be more of a challenge with a little wriggly puppy. The plant Grandpa brought back from Tennessee is doing alright, but the little baby plants are not near keeping up with the outdoor seeds I planted weeks later. Maybe in the spring my thumbs will be a little greener, but for now I am happy to leave it to Mother Nature's awesome skills.

 Baby greens and some mixed in something

 Lettuce baby greens

My favorite! The tomb thumb peas which should grow into nice little bushes of delicious snap peas.

No comments:

Post a Comment